Tracy's Nest

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Seafood Noodles

Went to wet market on Sunday. Decided to cook home-made Seafood Noodles. Bought 2 types of cuttlefish - white and brown, ikan tenggiri to 'thump thump thump' for fish paste, crab stick, fish meat and sawi.


Ingredients for the Seafood Noodles:
Front: ginger slices and fish meat
Middle row: fish paste to make fish balls, white and brown sotong, crab stick, fried fish cake from the fish paste
Back: Meehoon, sawi and ikan bilis soup
Tra da ....... a bowl of delicious Seafood Noodles!
updated 20/4/06 at 4.15 p.m.
Fish Paste
Ikan Tenggiri (buy from wet market and tell the fish monger the ikan tenggiri are for making fish paste)
Salt to taste and water (mix)

Method:
1. Cut (gliding the knife sideways) the ikan tenggiri from the tail up to the head on both sides of the fish – from each fish, u’ll get 2 pieces of fish meat (with the skin). *hope u get what I mean*
2. Use a spoon to scrape the meat. Don’t waste, scrape as much meat as u can, even from the bones (of course make sure u don’t grate the bones into the fish meat).
3. Get a large piece of plastic, put the meat onto the plastic, fold the plastic and knead, adding the salt water (little by little) as u knead.
4. The fish meat will be become stickier as u knead. Do not add too much salt water/water else the fish paste will be too soft. Knead until u get the desired firmness
5. Wet (not too wet) ur hands with water, put the lump of kneaded fish paste on ur hands and pat until into a ball.
6. If neccessary, u can divide the kneaded fish paste into two portions - 1 for fish balls and the other, fry with oil to make fish cake.
a
Easy, isn't it?
a
a
(psst, psst Michelle, don't know how to post in cookblog wor)

8 Comments:

At Thu Apr 20, 02:38:00 AM, Blogger jazzmint said...

wah yum yum...can fight with segambut seafood noodles liao :). Add some clams in, I'm sure also nice hehe..

wah..alot of fish paste lehh..how u prepare ah. tempting me pulak

 
At Thu Apr 20, 09:32:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

hey, if seafood noodles come with tomyan soup, lagi best ler! Buy those ready made tomyan paste or cube!

Pls share your fish ball recepi ler, read few from cyber kuali, but seem like too many steps ler! Maybe yours is more simple?

 
At Thu Apr 20, 09:44:00 AM, Blogger blurblur said...

Aiyo...drool again...*wipes away my drool and dash out of office to buy breakfast*

 
At Thu Apr 20, 09:51:00 AM, Blogger ZMM said...

never teach us how to make the fish paste also..

you really tah-yu-peng the traditional way ah?

 
At Thu Apr 20, 11:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh... I so want to try this, since the girls can't take spicy food, so this is the best for them.

 
At Thu Apr 20, 04:39:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Jazzmint:
Of course, of course, I'm sure mine's better (cough cough). Tentu mar, mine's 'chen choi sat liu' (genuine ingredients) wor. They put a few pieces of sotongs only and I've request for more sotongs every time.

Actually I wanted to add the 'lala' but couldn't find any in the wet market of (there were small ones but I prefer the larger and longer types). Wanted to put prawns too but sudah lupa to buy prawns.

Wei, what are u doing at 2.38:57 am? Curi ayam ar? Kekeke.

Jesslyn:
Really? Haven't tried the tomyam seafood wor. Must give it a try one day. Must put kangkong instead of sawi lor hor?

Blur blur:
Heehee, soli soli. Faster go and have a bowl of seafood noodles.

Zara's mama:
Oh yes, I always use the traditional way to 'tah-yu-peng' cos I don't like the 'bola-bola' ones in the market - very ungenuine and I don't like fishy smell. I rather buy the ikan and ‘tah’ myself. Actually I don't ‘tah’, I gather the fish meat onto a plastic sheet on the chopping board and knead. I used to tumbuk but my large penumbuk susah cracked into 2 so got to use another way – dat is to knead.

Twinsmom:
Still got a lot to learn from u leh.

 
At Sat Apr 22, 03:39:00 PM, Blogger Lazymama said...

I am going to cook this for tommorow breakfast! You have tempted me!

But I am too lazy to knead the fish paste myself, I bought the ready knead fish paste from the fish monger. :P

 
At Sat Apr 22, 11:44:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Lazymama:
Sure, sure, if u're too lazy (heehee), u can buy the ready-kneaded fish paste in the wet market but it's much more expensive. If I'm not mistaken, it's about RM14-RM15 per 600 grams.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home