Tracy's Nest

Monday, September 07, 2009

A Good Deed and A Close Shave with Death

Have to jot this down before I forget but I don't think I will forget the latter incident. The two incidents happened in a day but didn't happen to me but to Pappy!

The first incident was after shopping in Tesco and while we were packing our groceries into the car boot, I noticed a black object on a trolley beside our car. I went to the trolley found dat it was a wallet but dared not touch it. I told Pappy about it and he went and picked it up and found out it had an ID card, driving licence, credit cards and some cash (a ten dollar note and a few RM1 notes) in it and they belonged to a young man. Pappy checked his ID card and found the address was in the same garden as the supermarket.

I told Pappy to put it back or to hand it to the guard or to the reception counter for fear dat the owner might be frantically searching for it. Without any consideration, Pappy took the wallet and off we went to in search of the address. He said it was of no use handing the wallet to the guards.

When we came out of the supermarket on the way to find the address, what caught our eyes was the road sign which we were about to search. We went down the road to find the house number. When we found the house, we saw a couple coming out of the house and Pappy got down from the car and went to enquire from the couple whether anyone lost his wallet. The guy recognised the wallet and told us dat the wallet belonged to his brother and immediately called his brother. I guess the brother din even notice his wallet was missing. After having handed over the wallet to the rightful owner and of course not without the 'thank u, thank u', we went off feeling very satisfied. We 'saved' someone from having the trouble to go thru the reports. A good deed done indeed.

Now for the 2nd very happening incident. Pappy recently had this interest of 'climbing hill' in the forest at the back of our apartment. He usually goes with his friends or Des will tag along with him. Yesterday his friends were busy and his daughter had no interest in tagging along, he decided to go on his own. As I was cooking, I received a call from him and he sounded he was in difficulty. He said he couldn't breathe and felt faint at that moment! Immediately all the 'bad thoughts' came into my mind. He told me to contact our doctor friends, Dr. Loh or Fanny (Christine's parents), to ask them what he should do. I immediately called Fanny but she wasn't sure what I was trying to tell her and she passed my call to her hubby. He said he wasn't sure the situation Pappy was in but he did tell me to advise Pappy to lie down. I called Pappy again but couldn't contact him and I was oredi in tears *blek*. Dr. Loh called me again and told me he was coming over.

At dat moment, Su Chung (Pappy's hill climbing companion) called and told me Pappy called him and he said he was going up the hill to find Pappy with his friends. Upon hearing dat, I heaved a sigh of relief, knowing dat help was going to Pappy.

Dr. Loh and Fanny came over and immediately they drove me to the bottom of the hill. Luckily Elyss was around and helped me look after Destinee. I met Su Chung's wife, Chew Foong, who told me a few guys had oredi gone up to find Pappy. These guys were quite familiar with the tracks of the forest. Everyone there was consoling me and I was trying very hard to hold back my tears, not only was I scared and worried but was so heartfelt by the 'warmness' of the people. The sky was getting dark which made my heart thumped faster.

Dr. Loh tried to contact his friends to bring a stretcher cos Pappy couldn't move. Luckily we were able to contact the helpers up the hill and were informed of the situation every now and then. I was informed dat Pappy was conscious but just couldn't move, he had cramps in his hands and felt faint when he tried to get up.

One of the helpers contacted Pantai Hospital which was the nearest but was told they wouldn't come as they were not specialised in climbing hills *duh*. We had no choice but to contact the Jabatan Bomba dan Penyelamat and later we contacted HUKM where Dr. Loh and Fanny work. I tell u, they were so efficient, they came in about 10 minutes. As there was a gate which separated the road and the hill, the Bomba couldn't come in and Dr. Loh ran all the way out to direct the Bomba the way. A few minutes later, another 'pi po pi po' sound was on the way and dat was the ambulance from HUKM and Dr. Loh got to run all the way out to direct the ambulance again. *phew*

A few firemen and a paramedic made their way up the hill with the direction of one of the climbers and I waited down the hill with, at dat time, so many people. It was oredi pitch dark when we look up the hill. A few minutes was like a few hours to me! Someone finally came down and told me everything was fine and the firemen were trying to get Pappy down. Everyone there was consoling me not to worry and everything will be fine.

We waited for about, I really didn't know for how long, seemed like ages to me. And suddenly everyone was shouting 'coming down oredi, coming down oredi'! Pappy was carried down on a stretcher and was on drips. Quickly he was transferred into the ambulance. I noticed dat it was like a scene from the TVB series, 'Lit for hoong sum' (Burning Flame). I even noticed everyone was putting their heads out of their apartments. Oh boy, what a scene!

'Pi po pi po' and we were on our way to the hospital. Pappy was pushed into the emergency room and I went to register him. Dr. Loh and Fanny came later to accompany me. As they were familiar with the hospital, they tried to get their doctor friend to help 'look afer' Pappy. As it was getting late (I looked at the clock on the wall, it was oredi 9 p.m.), I told Dr. Loh and Fanny to go back and I would update them on Pappy's condition.

Su Chung called and asked me if I needed help but I told him, everything was fine and I would call him if I needed his help. I called Elyss to tell her we had reached the hospital. Fanny called again whether I needed them to drive me back, I told her I had contacted Elyss.

I went in and out of the 'treatment room' (don't know the exact term) to see how Pappy was. He looked okay and was very consious and even told me he was hungry (huh?). Only did I realise I too haven't had dinner yet. After waited for about 2 hours for the result of the report, Dr. Zeehan (I hope I got her name correct) came and told me there was nothing wrong with Pappy, his blood pressure, heart condition ... whatever ... they tested was normal and was allowed to be discharged. *yahoo*

Elyss came and fetched us and finally we were back home at about 1.30 a.m. after supper. We got help from Eugene (Elyss's hubby) to drive Pappy's car back from the bottom of the hill.

Pappy went to the office this morning but came back later and said he was not feeling well. I told him to rest cos I know he had a sleepless nite last nite and so he's resting at home now.

Phew! What an experience for us!

I was so helpless at that time and was like 'kelam kabut'. I really would like to express my thanks to everyone from the bottom of my heart who chipped in to help esp. to Dr. Loh and Fanny, Su Chung and Chew Foong, Elyss and Eugene and the climbers. THANK U SOOOOOO VERY MUCHIE!


At Mon Sep 07, 03:24:00 PM, Blogger michelle@mybabybay said...

Probably he was out of air in high ground. Better not have him hike alone. Good to hear that he is ok now.

At Mon Sep 07, 03:33:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Dear friend, your title scare me!! Lucky pappy is ok now....tell him next time dun go alone ya....

take care!

At Mon Sep 07, 05:32:00 PM, Blogger 杨 霓 said...


At Mon Sep 07, 06:21:00 PM, Blogger mumsgather said...

Glad to hear that Pappy is ok now. You probably should have another medical test done for Pappy.

At Mon Sep 07, 08:21:00 PM, Blogger slavemom said...

Phew... so kan cheong reading ur post. Luckily he's fine edi. Better do a thorough medical chk-up. 'Hou yan yau hou pou'.

At Tue Sep 08, 11:41:00 AM, Blogger cowie said...

Pappy get well soon...

At Wed Sep 09, 09:34:00 AM, Blogger coffeesncookies said...

Your post so kan cheong. Luckily Pappy is ok but what was the cause ? Better find out, so he can take precaution against it happening again.

At Thu Sep 10, 12:30:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Michelle He won't be going up the hills for a while from now. When we passed by the place, there's a 'yum yeng' for him. *heehee*

Jess - He scared me until "nose oso no meat" leh.

Nini - Thank u so much for helping me get Des's h/w from school.

Mumsgather - Thank u, he's ok now.

Ginie - Ya lor, maybe 'a good turn deserves another' *heehee*.

Kelly - He's ok now.

Coffeesncookies - Over-stressing was the cause.

At Thu Sep 10, 08:05:00 PM, Blogger Magictree said... comments went missing liao. Nevermind glad all is well now.

At Thu Sep 10, 11:25:00 PM, Blogger jazzmint said...

wow...ur post make my heart drop man..lucky pappy is ok. Probably cause of the climbing and he was short of breath that's why

At Fri Sep 11, 09:31:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Magictree - Ya ya, really glad all's well and really can smile, eat and sleep now.

Jazzmint - I went 'blank' for a while leh. Ya ya, luckily he's ok now but still got to watch out, really really scared.

At Fri Sep 18, 07:14:00 PM, Blogger Zara's Mama said...

Quite scarry also the whole ordeal.

Good that all is well.

At Wed Oct 07, 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Sabrina said...

Poor thing. Hope he's okay now. Maybe he was out of breath while climbing the hill.


Post a Comment

<< Home