Tracy's Nest

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Marble Cake

Ingredients
1. 6 egg whites
2. 6 egg yolks
3. 225g sugar
4. 225g butter
5. 225g plain flour (sifted)
6. 25 g cocoa (sifted)
7. 2 tbsp evaporated milk
8. 2 1/2 tbsp evaporated milk
9. vanilla

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
2. Beat the egg whites until firm. Add in about 1/3 (75 g) of the sugar and continue to beat until sugar is dissoved and the mixture looks thick. Keep this aside.
3. Put the butter into a mixing bowl and pour in the remaining sugar. Beat the butter and sugar until creamy (sugar not necessarily to be dissolved). Make sure the bowl is not too big else the mixture is beaten, it will be 'flying' in the bowl.
4. Add in the egg yolks 1 at a time. Beat well and add in vanilla.
5. Use a spoon to fold in the beaten egg whites and flour. Mix well.
6. Divide the mixture into two bowls. Add 2 tbsp evaporated milk to 1 bowl and mix well. Add 2 1/2 tbsp evaporated milk and 25g cocoa into the other bowl and mix well.
7. Grease a baking tin - 23cm x 6 cm. Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
8. Scoop the mixtures from both bowls alternately into the baking tin – to form alternate layers of plain and chocolate.

Layer of plain mixture
Layer of chocolate layer
9. Then use a spoon to stir slowly 3-4 rounds as in a clockwise manner to produce the marble effect.
10. Bake in oven for about 30-35 mins or until cooked. Test with a skrewer.
11. Remove the cake onto a wire rack and leave it to cool.

*sorry, forgot to take a pic of the cake before it was cut.

Okay, anyone, care for a piece of marble cake?
P/s: Make sure the top layer is the plain layer if not when it's baked the top layer will look like it's 'burnt'.

12 Comments:

At Wed Jun 21, 05:17:00 PM, Blogger Jess said...

very simple hor! Must give it a try! same as butter cake except this one got marble effect!

 
At Wed Jun 21, 05:27:00 PM, Blogger ZMM said...

looks good.. not sweet ah? So much suger?

 
At Wed Jun 21, 05:34:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Jess and Zara's Mama:
Wah, so fast received ur comments.

Making butter cake is a lot easier but the marble cake is much tastier. Marble cake is like doing double work becos of the chocolate layer. The 1st time I made I was so 'kelam kabut' cos it was quite difficult to smoothen each layer and the mixtures kept sticking to my spatula.

No, it's not really sweet but I did minus 5 g of sugar. It's a bit oily, maybe can minus some butter too. Minus here and there, wonder it'll come out nice or not (heehee).

 
At Wed Jun 21, 11:58:00 PM, Blogger shoppingmum said...

That's great! I'll keep your recipe and ask hubby to try it someday. I don't know how to cook or bake, but he does.

 
At Thu Jun 22, 05:30:00 AM, Blogger Vien said...

wah like my mother, minus here & there, add here & there to the recipe..hehe.

 
At Thu Jun 22, 08:55:00 AM, Blogger chanelwong said...

I am not a good cook...your hubby must be proud of you...

 
At Thu Jun 22, 03:28:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate u :(...
(joking only :b), well I know when to blog hopping your blog, not the time when I am hungry...you make me salivated.

 
At Thu Jun 22, 03:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey put this in cookblog. If you not free, just give me permission and I do the honor. :P

 
At Fri Jun 23, 11:06:00 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

Shoppingmum:
U are one lucky lady to have a husband who can cook and bake. How I wish mine can cook and bake too *hard luck*

Vien:
Ur mum minuses the ingredients here and there too? *Hi five, Vien's mummy* heehee.

Chanel:
I don't know Pappy's proud of me or not. He doesn't complain this and dat about my food I'll be very happy oredi.

Rachel:
Aiyo, Rach, don't hate me lar. If there's a chance for us to meet, I'll make something for u, okay? Feel better now? heehee.

Michelle:
Oh, by all means Mich cos I really don't know how to post in cookblog *blush blush*.

 
At Fri Jun 23, 05:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tracy: Very easy, register for an account, then test it...u love it after you use wordpress.

 
At Fri Jun 23, 11:33:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Really? I'll give it a try when I'm free. I thought u were going to help me with my first one?

 
At Fri Jan 12, 10:55:00 AM, Blogger Sasha Tan said...

Looks Yummy but i dun have times to make!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home