Tracy's Nest

Friday, May 04, 2007

Destinee's 1st Term's progress

This is a long overdued post. Destinee's 1st term holidays were over. I was invited to attend the Parents' and Teachers' day on the 23rd March, 2007 (alamak, really can 'mi-mi mo mo' (dily daly) posting this – no choice, was so busy busy busy).
a
The appointment was at 8.20 a.m. and I was 5 minutes late (thanks to Pappy with his forever last minute out of the house). Quickly dragged Des and hurried up the stairs to her classroom where her class teacher was oredi waiting. Apologised to her and she invited me and Des to sit on the 'little' chairs (school children's chair) facing opposite her. She had Des's books in front of her and started to show me what Des had done during the 1st term. She showed me Des's progress book. The remarks were all As except interaction where she had a B (as expected). The teacher informed me Des was not very co-operative when it came to interacting with the other kids. She didn't like to join her other frens (except for a few) when playing or singing but she's better now compared to the 1st few days at school whereby she would sit in a corner and wouldn't want to be friends with her classmates. At least now she tells me she has a few frens and keep mentioning their names nearly every day.
a
The teacher was satisfied with Des's progress. She told me she elected Des to be the captain of the class to boost her timidness and when the hat was put onto Des's head, she started to cry. Haiyo, this girl of mine.
a
I let the teacher know dat Des was very slow in doing her homework and needed to be accompanied while writing. I was surprised when I was told dat Des wrote fast in the class and sometimes finished her writings within the period. Eiks! This girl of mine knows who to bully.
a
Actually, I'm satisfied with what the teachers are teaching Des and I can see dat Des learnt a lot after she started school. For her Bahasa Malaysia, she knows her 'ba bi bu – za zi zu' well and can make up simple words and can read the paragraphs from her Bahasa Reading book. Her teacher oso told me she has started Des on Book 6 of the English Reading books whereas some of her classmates are still on Book 3 or Book 4. Des likes Maths and I'm pleased dat she can do additions and subtractions and she enjoys attending the gym and swimming lessons. But I do find dat Des is lazy at colouring large pictures, she only likes colouring small pictures.
a
Destinee's 1st term books –
a
Bahasa Malaysia text books and buku kerja

English Reading books

Thematic and Phonics books

Chinese Reading and Homework books

Maths books

During my days, there was only ONE miserable kindergarten in my hometown and only the 'rich' people's kids were able to attend but now there are so many kindies in one area and parents are able to choose where they want their kids to go. I remember I only started to learn my ABCs when I was in primary one but now even a 2 year-old can read the ABCs. *gasps* Not easy being a pre-schooler nowadays hor?

15 Comments:

At Sat May 05, 06:07:00 AM, Blogger Vien said...

Gosh, sounds like she is in Std 1. It feels like Std 1 too..especially when the parents have to go in to meet the teachers during report card days.

 
At Sat May 05, 08:24:00 AM, Blogger Chinneeq said...

aiyo.....preschooler only ah...so many books lar....and i can feel the burden oredi...

 
At Sat May 05, 11:59:00 AM, Blogger etceteramommy said...

I totally agree.. it's getting very competitive to be kids nowadays. Unlike my time, 2 yrs old I think I was still running ard the hse naked. Kekeke.....

 
At Sat May 05, 06:23:00 PM, Blogger laundryamah said...

wah so serious for kindy eh? scary but it's good oso if u r intending to send her to chinese school

 
At Sat May 05, 06:28:00 PM, Blogger Magictree said...

Gosh...indeed that's a lot of books for 5 years old kid. A lot of homework huh?

 
At Sat May 05, 11:29:00 PM, Blogger Sasha Tan said...

why got nominated and cry? hehehe sekd leh?

 
At Sun May 06, 04:36:00 PM, Blogger 1+2mom said...

When i start teaching last year at other school, i also shock when see the 5 n 6 years old books.Come to this school more shock when see my son books, so many want to learn.But for them, they very fast to catch up so i not so worry about him. Somemore he had a habit to finish his homework b4 go home and read book b4 sleep.It a very good trainning b4 go std 1.

 
At Mon May 07, 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Mumsgather said...

Alamak! My 3 and 5 year old still running around at home but no choice ler. I gotta take care of myself before I send them to kindy. So I just have to make sure I give them some home schooling. Hehe.

 
At Mon May 07, 05:22:00 PM, Blogger Desperate Mummy said...

OMG why so many books ler my son also not many. Poor Des.

 
At Tue May 08, 05:04:00 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Vien
When I went and met the teacher, I was the one who was more excited and it was like I was going to take my report *duh*

Chinnee
Haha, u'll have ur turn with Qiqi.

Etcetera Mummy
Ya lor, I was playing with (sand) and masak-masak then leh.

Amah
True to say too. I hope she'll be prepared by then when she enters Pri. 1 in the Chinese school.

Magictree
I'm sure u're feeling the pressure too with No. 1 and No. 2 hor?

Sasha
Exactly! She was so sked dat she cried.

Sylvia
Ya, ya, it's indeed a good pratice for them with the load of homework now so dat when they enter Pri. 1, just hope dat they won't feel the pressure.

Wah, Carter can finish his homework in class, how nice? My girl will always bring her work back from school to finish *haiya*.

Mumsgather
It's good dat u can give ur kids homeschooling (whereas I don't know what and how to teach) and I'm sure they'll be ready when they go to kindy.

Eva
Different kindies, different system of teaching, Eva. My fren's daughter who's in one of the kindies (SR) only has activities and not much homework, sometimes no homework at all.

 
At Wed May 09, 11:27:00 AM, Blogger Allyfeel said...

That's a lot of text books eh? I so lauya la, haven't seen any text book from my child's kindy. Wah, can do additions already, impressed. Ivan is still learning to write his numbers.

 
At Wed May 09, 01:01:00 PM, Blogger Annie Q said...

wow..that's a lot text books! *tsk tsk tsk*
Des quite shy? That's y when she been elected be the captain of the class?

 
At Wed May 09, 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Jason Lioh said...

Sick also want to go for Chinese spelling test. Cannot like that? Children must have childhood, don't be like me. :(

 
At Thu May 10, 01:18:00 PM, Blogger Xilly said...

OMG, so many books. I nearly pengsan when I saw those photos. Different kinda different style. My girl still at her 1st year. I do hope that her books will lesser than Des one. If not, I will be a crazy mom. :P

 
At Fri May 11, 12:12:00 AM, Blogger Jacss said...

it's a same topic that i wanted to blog about sometime ago but was too lazy until i read yours......coz my boys went to the same kindy!
so u've influenced me to finish mine too....thx! got time, do read my version!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home